Energy Savings & Conservation
- Replace an old water heater with an ENERGY STAR model. Heating water consumes up to 90% of the energy used to operate washing machines.
- Turn off the water heater when the business is closed.
- A specially designed, pre-cut blanket (or jacket) for electric water heaters will pay for itself in energy saved within one year. Do not insulate if the manufacturer advises not to – you may create a safety hazard.
- A high-efficiency commercial washer, including but not limited to front-loading machines can cut energy costs up to 50% and use about 30% less water. Energy efficient front-loading commercial clothes washers last 5 to 10 years longer than standard top-loading machines.
- Retrofit lighting with energy-efficient bulbs. Replace old ballasts T12 Fluorescents with electronic ballasts and T8 Fluorescent tubes.
Source: Natural Resources Canada