Ontario Electricity Rebate
Effective November 1, 2019 the Government of Ontario introduced a new electricity rebate called the Ontario Electricity Rebate (OER). This rebate replaces the 8% Provincial Rebate and is intended to make electricity bills more transparent. The OER is a 31.8% on-bill rebate for households; small businesses; and qualifying multi-unit complexes, farms and long-term care homes.
Eligibility requirements for the OER
The eligibility requirements for the OER are different from the eligibility requirements for the former 8% Provincial Rebate. Even if you were previously eligible, you may be required to re-declare eligibility under the new rules to continue receiving a rebate.
Note: You do not have to complete the Ontario Electricity Rebate Eligibility Form
if the account type listed on your bill is “RESIDENTIAL” or “GEN SERVICE < 50 KW ”, or if you consume less than 250,000 kWh per year. In those circumstances, you will be automatically transitioned to the OER and will receive the OER for as long as you remain eligible.
How to apply for the OER
Based on the eligibility requirements, your business may not continue to qualify for the OER, but you may be entitled to continue to receive the rebate until October 31, 2020.
In order to receive the new rebate, if you fall under one of the scenarios below, you will need to complete the Ontario Electricity Rebate Eligibility Form and send it to Brantford Power no later than January 31, 2020.
Immediate attention is required for the following customer groups:
- Customers in the account type “ GEN SERVICE > 50 KW ” that use more than 250,000 kWh per year and are currently receiving the 8% rebate
- Multi-Unit Complexes
- Long-Term Care Homes
For the above customers, failure to complete and submit the form by January 31, 2020 will result in a discontinuation of the OER for your account as of February 1, 2020, regardless of eligibility.
By January 31, 2020, larger commercial, multi-unit complexes, farms, and long-term care homes must complete and submit the Ontario Electricity Rebate Eligibility Form to notify Brantford Power of their eligibility to receive the OER.
By submitting a completed form by January 31, 2020, customers who:
- Are eligible for the OER will continue to receive the rebate uninterrupted
- Were receiving the 8% rebate prior to October 22, 2019 and are no longer eligible for the OER will receive the rebate until October 31, 2020
The form must be signed by an authorized representative. You can submit the completed Ontario Electricity Rebate Eligibility Form to Brantford Power using one of the following methods:
- In person at 220 Colborne Street (Monday-Friday, 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m., excluding holidays)
- Delivered by Canada Post to: Brantford Power Inc. Box 308 Brantford, ON N3T 5N8 • Delivered by Courier to: Brantford Power Inc. 220 Colborne Street Brantford, ON N3T 2H1
- A signed copy can be scanned and emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.For more information about the OER, please visit the Changes to your electricity bill page on the Government of Ontario website at www.ontario.ca or refer to Ontario Regulation 363/16.
If you have any questions about the Ontario Electricity Rebate or the eligibility form, please contact Brantford Power using one of the following methods:
- E-mail: email@example.com
- Phone: 519-751-3522 (Monday-Friday, 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m., excluding holidays)
- In person: 220 Colborne Street, Brantford, Ontario (Monday-Friday, 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m., excluding holidays)