February 3, 2020
Brantford Power wants our customers to be aware of multiple telephone scams targeting homeowners in Brantford.
Our customers have reported receiving fraudulent telephone calls regarding an overdue account. The caller falsely claims to be from Brantford Power.
There have also been reports of scammers calling people and claiming that they need to complete an inspection of equipment in their home (furnace, air conditioning, etc.) to determine efficiency options and possible rebates. The caller also states that they will require a copy of the homeowner’s “hydro bill”.
Unfortunately, sophisticated scams targeting customers are an ongoing concern for utilities across Ontario. Brantford Power provides these reminders and tips to help our customers stay safe protect themselves from possible scams.
Reminders And Safety Tips
- Brantford Power does not contact customers after hours by telephone regarding the status of their account. We provide written notice of any past due accounts.
- Brantford Power will never threaten immediate disconnection for non-payment.
- Brantford Power will not ask you for your account number.
- Do not provide callers or people who come to your door with any personal information, a copy of your Brantford Power bill or details about your account.
- Do not respond to phone calls requesting a call back regarding your account. Instead, call Brantford Power directly at 519-751-3522 to confirm the status of your account.
- Do not let strangers in your home who claim to need to inspect equipment or assess energy efficiency rebates.
- If you feel threatened in any way, contact the Brantford Police Department at
- You can report any suspicious phone calls you receive to the Brantford Police Department at 519-756-0113 and the Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre at 1-888-495-8501 or www.antifraudcentre.ca.
If you are unsure if a communication from Brantford Power is legitimate, please contact our Customer Care department at 519-751-3522 during regular business hours.