General Lighting Tips
- Whenever you leave a room, get into the habit of turning off the lights.
- Maximize the amount of natural daylight.
- Replace high-use incandescent light bulbs with ENERGY STAR compact fluorescent light bulbs (CFLs). They use up to 75 % less electricity and last up to 10 times longer.
- Use area or task lighting instead of full, overhead lights. Consider light emitting diodes (LEDs) as they provide focused lighting, making them effective as reading lights, desk lamps, night lights, spotlights, security lights and signage lighting.
- ENERGY STAR quality light fixtures use only 1/4 the electricity of standard fixtures and distribute light more efficiently and evenly.
- (LED) lights use up to 90% less electricity and last 10times longer than incandescent lights.
- Use ENERGY STAR qualified seasonal light-emitting diodes (SLEDS) light strings.
- Solar-powered seasonal (SLEDS) use improved solar technology and require only a little sunlight to recharge, even recharging on cloudy days.
Automatic Lighting Controls
- Install dimmer switches and use dimmable CFLs.
- Consider photocell timers, which react to sunlight.
- Motion sensors (interior and exterior) are an electricity-saving option for lighting your way, because they only operate when they detect movement.
Light Bulb Disposal
CFLs contain small amounts of mercury. We encourage you to dispose of your used bulbs in an environmentally friendly way. Please contact the City of Brantford for proper disposal.